top of page


The church has been in existence since 1946. The founder, and first President, of Falmouth Central Spiritualist Church was Mr. William (Bill) Deval (GW Dip) with the inaugural service taking place on Armistice Sunday, 1946, in the Co-operative Hall, Berkeley Hill.  The second service saw a congregation of 93 people. The church has a reputation of ‘open doors’ for worship and continues to this day to be well attended.

In 1947, the church services were transferred to the Women’s Institute Hall, in Webber Street. In 1952, Bill’s very close friend, Des Lindo, a Medium and Healer, joined him in his endeavours and the church went from strength to strength. The next 24 years saw the church meeting in six different establishments. Over the years Falmouth Church hosted many well known Mediums.

In 1970, the church acquired its permanent premises in Quarry Hill, Falmouth. The building was purchased from the daughters of the late Mrs. Barbara Pitts who was an active Spiritualist.

It was a proud day for the Committee and church members when the new premises were formally opened by the Mayor of Falmouth, Alderman Bernard Smales, accompanied by the Mayoress and a number of Falmouth Town Council members.  In July 1971, the church was registered for the solemnizing of marriages. 

In 1991, serious cracks began to appear in the Church wall. In 1997 the building became unsafe and the Church closed on the 6th April after a very moving service taken by the President, Des Lindo, Vice-President George Trudgeon and Greater World Certified Medium Mrs. Freda Norton. Plans had been passed for the demolition  of the building with a new Church being built on the site. Work started on the 19th May, 1997 and the church was finished in the second week of January, 1998. The interior of the building was finished by the Committee and church members, decorating and fitting a new kitchen, hanging doors, cleaning and unpacking all that had been in store. The Church re-opened again with a service on Saturday, 30th May 19 and became known as ‘The Lighthouse on the Hill’.

bottom of page